For a long time, I've been trying to get rid of my wedding dress. I'm not one for clutter or hanging on to every little thing. Maybe it's because we move about once a year (or more) on average or have up to this point anyway. But anyhow, I've been hoping to get rid of my dress for awhile. I had it at a consignment store for about 6 months, and then they went out of business. When I went to pick up my dress, they had somehow "misplaced" my veil... Lame.
While I hate clutter, I also don't like to just get rid of something perfectly useable. SOOOO...I've decided to make pillows out of my dress for my girls. I've found tons of cute, frilly pillows that would work well, and I've been searching for a good tutorial on how to make these flower pillows I've been seeing around, but I have yet to find one.
After seeing a beautiful pillow on THIS cute blog on Friday, I finally decided it was time to just go ahead and try to do one on my own. She purchased hers, but her pics were so great, I felt like I could get a good feel for what needed to be done to make my own.
I used some linen fabric I bought for $.50 / yard at a yardsale a LOOONG time ago for this one, since it would be my "tester".
I've seen a few tutorials on making flowers, and lots of people stitch down the edge with a really long but really tight stitch (change tension setting to highest and length to longest), but I decided to just scrunch by hand as i went along. I've done the other method for different projects, and it still seems to take awhile to get the right bunching, and I wanted to do my project while watching Ghostbusters with my husband on Saturday night, and I didn't want to drag my sewing machine downstairs, nor did I want to drive him nuts with the noise.
NOTE: THIS IS A HORRIBLE TUTORIAL. I was just testing to see how well it would work. I will try to take better pics and better measurements next time!!
I used one yard of linen fabric (45" width). I have a few 17"x17" pillow inserts I've removed from ugly pillows that came with our ginormous Craigslist set (I'll have to post about that another day...it'll have to be its very own post).
First, I tore straight across at 18" and then cut two 18"x12" pieces for the overlapping back pieces and one 18"x18" piece for the front.
Then I tore six 3" wide strips. I had no idea how many I would need or how wide, so I just guessed on this one. For a smaller pillow, you could either do less strips, make the strips more narrow, OR stack them in closer as you're going around to make your flower fuller.
So I just folded the center and rolled it a little and then stitched it to the center of one of my 18"x18" pieces. Then I scrunched a small section about the length of my left hand and held it with that hand and flipped it over and stitched with my right hand while keeping the scrunches in place still with the left. Worked quite well for me.
Here's a pic of the "bud":
And here's an awful pic of the reverse side. You can kind of see the outline of the bunched ruffled flower on the showing through and how I held my hand on the flower and thumb on the back side while I stitched. Don't poke yourself! :)
It was looking a little boring, so I added a few blue buttons to the center:
I didn't take any pics of stitching the actual casing together. But there are lots of great tutorials out there on making pillow covers. Brooke at All Things Thrifty has a great one HERE.
I originally considered placing it on our master bed, and that's why I used the blue buttons.
But I'm thinking it works much better as the first step in my Mom Cave... :)
I'm linking to: